Carrigallen Vocational School welcomes students with Special Educational Needs. The school has a proud tradition in assisting pupils with learning difficulties to develop to their full potential. The SEN Department here provide supplementary teaching to pupils who experience low achievement and/or learning difficulties in order to help students to develop their full potential. This Department has two experienced, full time, fully qualified staff members (another staff member at present qualifying in SEN) in liaison with subject teachers and in consultation with parents/guardians. We also have access to the psychologist from the National Educational Psychological Services (NEPS). The school has 2 Special Education Needs Rooms fully equipped with laptops and a large range of resources for use by the SEN teachers including a number of High Interest/Low ability reading programmes and a selection of I.C.T. programmes to target areas such as spelling, grammar, reading and writing as well as numeracy. At the present, there are 3 full time SNAs working in the school.
At the beginning of the school year, all incoming First Year students are assessed in reading and Mathematics. The results of these tests identify students who require additional support. As a result of these assessments, information from Educational Psychological reports, if available, consultation with subject teachers and with parental consent, students are given additional help in English, Maths and other subjects. The SEN department maintains a list of students who have SEN. This list
Is issued to all staff at the beginning of each school year.
The curriculum provision for SEN students can include some of the following options:
- Reducing curriculum load by one or more subjects.
- Withdrawal from class on a carefully timetabled basis to minimise the impact on any one subject
- Team teaching
- Students in need of Learning-Support or Resource are taught individually or in small groups
- Support is available up to Leaving Certificate
- Use of a reader and/or scribe for house exams where applicable
- These are only implemented with the agreement of the parents/guardians
The SEN Department applies to the DES on behalf of all SEN students for the following:
- Resource hours for individual students through the Special Educational Needs Organiser (SENO).
- Exemptions in Irish in exceptional circumstances
- Special arrangements/consideration in both the Junior and Leaving Certificate examinations (RACE)
- Resource materials.
Carrigallen Vocational School is committed to providing ongoing in-service training for staff in the area of SEN.