- Mary Greene
- Jimmy Guckian
The LCVP combines the academic strengths of the Leaving Certificate (established) with a new and dynamic focus on self–directed learning, innovation and enterprise. Carrigallen this year celebrates the 22nd successful year of the programme in the school.
The primary goal of the LCVP is to prepare young people for adult life by ensuring that they are educated in the broadest sense, with an ability to cope and thrive in an environment of rapid change. Participants in the programme are encouraged to develop skills and competencies fundamental to both academic and vocational success.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
- be innovative and enterprising
- take responsibility for their learning
- adapt to changing circumstances
- evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
- communicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
- work with others as part of a team
- investigate and plan career options
- use information and communications technologies
- investigate local business and community enterprises
- earn from their experiences.
These skills and qualities are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.
Generally students study seven subjects for their Leaving Certificate plus two additional modules Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education delivered over the two years.
Examination and Assessment
Students earn a significant 60% of their award based on portfolio work completed in 5th Year and submitted in March of 6th Year. The remaining 40% comes from their written examination which takes place in the first week of May in Leaving Certificate year. The pie-chart below summarises the content of the portfolio and the weighting of each part.
Figure 1 Breakdown of marks awarded
Activities include visits out to businesses, voluntary and community organisations, career exhibitions, one-week work placement in career area in 5th year, opportunity to set up their own enterprise, group work, presentation and interview as well as considerable use of ICT in preparing the portfolio.
The school places a high value on the students achieving a work placement which is consistent with their planned career paths. Typically the 5-day placement takes place in Fifth Year for the week before Mid-Term Break in February. We are fortunate to have a valuable network of employers not only in the local area but also in the regional and national geographical areas. It is a notable characteristic of this school that the team endeavours to meet every employer during the week of work placement to discuss each student’s progress. If that is not possible then each employer is contacted by telephone.
What is needed to qualify for LCVP?
To qualify for LCVP, students must take the following:
- Two subjects in her/his Leaving Certificate from any one of the combinations below (See list of Vocational Subject Groupings) e.g. If a student studies Ag. Science and Business from line 14 then that VSG subject grouping qualifies the student for the programme. That grouping must be maintained for the two-year duration of the programme.
- A continental language or a language module – unless exempt. In Carrigallen VS a Basic French class is provided weekly for those not studying French for the Leaving Certificate.
- Irish – unless exempt. Must still do five Leaving Cert subjects plus the Link Modules
- A minimum of five Leaving Certificate subjects
- Enterprise Education
- Preparation for the World of Work
LCVP Link Modules –
Preparation for the World of Work
3 class periods per week in total
+ 1 x Basic French if required Enterprise Education
Preparation for the World of Work
Access if required to the IT Room
2 class periods per week in total
+ 1 x Basic French if required
In addition to the above all Senior Cycle students also have a weekly timetabled Careers Class where they may discuss possible career paths with the Career Guidance Counsellor.
1 Construction Studies; Engineering; Design and Communication Graphics; Technology – Any Two
2 Physics and Construction Studies or Engineering or Technology or Design & Communication Graphics
3 Agricultural Science and Construction Studies or Engineering or Technology or Design & Communication Graphics
4 Agricultural Science and Chemistry or Physics or Physics/Chemistry
5 Home Economics; Agricultural Science; Biology – Any Two
6 Home Economics and Art – Design Option or Craft Option
7 Accounting; Business; Economics – Any two
8 Physics and Chemistry
9 Biology and Chemistry or Physics or Physics/Chemistry
10 Biology and Agricultural Science
11 Art – Design Option or Craft Option and Design & Communication Graphics
12 Engineering or Technology or Construction Studies or Design & Communication Graphics and Accounting or Business or Economics
13 Home Economics and Accounting or Business or Economics
14 Agricultural Science and Accounting or Business or Economics
15 Art Design or Craftwork Option and Accounting or Business or Economics
16 Music and Accounting or Business or Economics
LCVP students receive the same certificate as other Leaving Certificate students but their Certificate includes an additional statement of the results of the Link Modules.
Grades for the Link Modules are as follows:
80% – 100%
65% – 79%
50% – 64%
Points Awarded Universities and ITs
Points Calculator Click on the link below:
Useful Websites for LCVP
- www.pdst.ie/node/2354 Department of Education website detailing all specific requirements of the Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme.
- www.studententerprise.ie Student Enterprise Awards sponsored by the City and County Enterprise Boards.
- www.examinations.ie Department of Education Leaving Certificate past exam papers and marking schemes.
- www.businessgame.ie Online business game where students can register and compete against each other and other schools nationally.
- www.careersportal.ie Excellent site – useful for students at second and third level, adult learners, parents , job seekers and career guidance professionals.
- www.qualifax.ie Another very informative careers site also catering for all learners as above.