Using iPads in the Classroom
From September 2014 the first year students entering Carrigallen Vocational School have been using iPads as part of their education.
This was decided on the consideration of a number of factors including:
- The heavy digital content of the new Junior Cycle. Students will be expected to present work for assessment in a number of digital formats including presentations, recordings etc.
- There is access to an enormous range of excellent educational apps across all subjects.
- The consideration of research which has universally shown an improvement in student interest and grades with the introduction of digital devices in the classroom.
- The on-going issue with the debilitating weight of bags caused by very heavy school books in addition to notes and exercise copies. We would hope that over time we could reduce this load by having a percentage of the books required as e-books and by using the iPad to store notes and project work.
- Carrigallen Vocational School would like to prepare its students to compete into increasingly digitalised third level education and workplace environments.
Students use their iPads to carry out research, create content, manage their classwork and homework, collaborate on project work and communicate with each other and with teachers.
In first year, students have eBooks for the subjects they will continue with throughout the Junior Cycle; English, Irish, Religion, Geography, Maths and Science.
In second year, students will download the eBooks for the subjects they have chosen to continue with.
Some of the apps students frequently use are:
Showbie is an efficient app which is used by teachers to set assignments with deadlines and share files with students. Students can then submit their assignments and teachers can correct, edit and give feedback on their work.
Pages is a word processor used to create documents. Students can easily save, edit and organise their content within the app. It is also compatible with Microsoft Word.
Keynote is an app used by students and teachers to create presentations containing text, images, video, animations, audio, etc. It is compatible with Microsoft PowerPoint.
Numbers is a sophisticated spreadsheet app. You can add interactive charts, tables, and images that paint a revealing picture of your data. It is compatible with Microsoft Excel.
- Simple Minds
There are also many other subject specific apps.